Brothers of Holy Cross
The Brothers of Holy Cross, Midwest Province, are a society of lay religious men within the Congregation of Holy Cross. They live in community and take vows of poverty, celibacy and obedience to give of themselves more creatively and intimately to the mission of Jesus Christ, his Body – the church, and the needs of the world.
One of the 13 brothers who celebrated his jubilee at the Basilica of the Sacred Heart on the campus of the University of Notre Dame, Indiana, June 21, has ties to the Archdiocese of Milwaukee:
Br. James Reddy was born in Milwaukee.
Read more about Br. James Reddy in the order’s 2014 newsletter.
CAPUCHIN PROVINCE OF ST. JOSEPH
The Capuchins are an international community of friars modeling themselves after St. Francis of Assisi. The brothers of the Capuchin Province of St. Joseph, headquartered in Detroit, serve in a variety of ministries including social service, schools, chaplaincy, retreat houses and parishes in Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Montana, Arizona, California, Nicaragua and Panama. Founded in 1857, the St. Joseph Province has 174 members.
Six of the 12 Capuchin friars who will celebrate their jubilees at St. Lawrence Seminary, Mount Calvary, July 18, served in the Archdiocese of Milwaukee:
Fr. Alexis Luzi, served as a teacher at St. Lawrence Seminary before going to Rome for advanced studies in theology. From 1956 to 1970, he was professor of fundamental theology and Hebrew in the Capuchin school of theology at St. Anthony Friary in Marathon, Wisconsin. He was noted for his close attention to the Second Vatican Council and the ensuing changes in approaches to theology. He has been pastor of St. Benedict Parish, chaplain to the Sisters of the Sorrowful Mother and to the School Sisters of St. Francis. He is noted for his preaching, especially his tenacity and insight in bringing the Gospel to bear on the issues of the day. He assisted regularly at Old St. Mary’s parish in Milwaukee for many years. He is currently retired in Texas.
Fr. Campion Baer entered graduate school after ordination and received his Ph.D. from the University of Notre Dame and Dip. Ed. from Oxford University, England. He taught Capuchin seminarians and students at two secular colleges while serving on the Capuchins’ Provincial Council. He also headed the Office of Continuing Formation for 12 years. After publishing a book that examines the history of the Capuchin Province of St. Joseph, Lady Poverty Revisited, he headed the Overseas Capuchin Mission Office. He retired from teaching at St. Lawrence Seminary High School, Mount Calvary, in January, but continues his mission work.
Friar Kenan Siegel, born in Sheboygan, attended St. Lawrence Seminary from 1944 to 1948. Fr. Siegel worked in a variety of ministries for the Province, first serving in the Mission Office in Detroit, then at St. Lawrence Seminary, 1961-1973, as a teacher and then in the business office. He earned a master’s in classical languages from Loyola University, Chicago. He returned to Mount Calvary to teach Latin, work in the business office and head development for the seminary for several years. He currently resides at St. Lawrence Friary. For the past 13 years, he has ministered periodically in the Middle East.
Fr. Robert Udulutsch has enjoyed all of the various ministries he has served. For over a half-century, he has taught, preached, done parish work, a stint in the Middle East and more. He is now in retirement, helping out, traveling to the Middle East again, Guam, Hawaii and in local parishes. He served the Archdiocese of Milwaukee through Parish Mission Renewal, 1974-1980.
Fr. Brian Braun grew up on a farm in Eden Township, Fond du Lac County. Also, a student of St. Lawrence Seminary, he served in a variety of ministries in Gary, Ind., Chicago, Detroit and Milwaukee. In Milwaukee he served at St. Benedict the Moor and St. Martin de Porres parishes. He served seven years of chaplaincy at the Milwaukee County Jail and the Wisconsin Prison, Milwaukee, followed by chaplaincy at St. Francis Home, Fond du Lac. Fr. Braun is also the founder of Cap Corps, a Franciscan Capuchin volunteer ministry, geared to college-age students and graduates who wish to emulate the example of St. Francis of Assisi and serve the poor and disenfranchised.
Fr. Paschal Siler served as pastor, St. Francis of Assisi Parish, 1988-1993. He has been ministering on Montana’s Northern Cheyenne reservation for the last 10 years. He also served in the Middle East, pastoring 50 communities with parishioners from nine different nations. As there were no churches, people would gather in homes, theaters and similar.
Medical Mission Sisters
The Medical Mission Sisters, based in Philadelphia, Pa., are an international religious community of women committed to a mission of healing in areas of need throughout the world. Founded in 1925 by Austrian-born Dr. Anna Dengel, they are the first Roman Catholic Sisters to combine the practice of medicine, surgery and obstetrics with religious life. Six hundred sisters and 100 associate members serve in 17 countries.
Sr. Rosemary Sampon, born in Milwaukee, entered the Medical Mission Sisters in 1951. She worked in California for several years, before returning to Philadelphia in 1956 to help raise awareness of her community. She became the housekeeping supervisor at Hospital Nuestra Senora de Coromoto in Maracaibo, Venezuela. Sr. Rosemary serve in Bolivia as a housekeeping consultant, and in Yanque, Peru, as a pastoral worker. After nursing studies, she served as the coordinator assistant on the Family Pastoral Commission in Oaxaca, Mexico. Today, Sr. Rosemary is invovled in parish work, and is director of the Catholic Doctrine Program in Douglas.
Sr. Joan Barina, of Racine, graduated from Marquette University in 1951, and began working as a medical technologist at St. Luke’s Hospital, Milwaukee. She served as chief technologist in the order’s Holy Family Hospitals in Atlanta, Ga., and in Patna, India, where she started a medical laboratory school. After returning to the U.S. in 1973, Sr. Joan worked as a medical technologist with the Public Health Service of California, earned an advanced degree in microbiology and went to work at the Alaska Native Medical Center. In 1979, she met Mercy Sr. Joyce Ross, with whom she was involved in religious education and pastoral ministry on the Kenai Peninsula of Alaska for more than 30 years; today, both sisters are in mission in Albany, N.Y.
School Sisters of St. Francis
The School Sisters of St. Francis are an international community who unite with others to build a just and peaceful world. Founded in 1874, the order is comprised of more than 1,000 sisters, associates, staff, donors and volunteers actively working to address the needs of the poor and marginalized in society. Its five provinces serve the U.S., Europe, Latin America and India.
Sinsinawa Dominican women are called to proclaim the Gospel through the ministry of preaching and teaching in order to participate in the building of a holy and just society.
Sr. Marie Cagnoni
Sr. Juliana Amenda
Sr. Marie Stella Storch
Sisters of Charity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
The Sisters of Charity of the Blessed Virgin Mary are a community of Catholic women called to live the mission of Jesus through the core values of freedom, charity, education and justice.
SISTERS OF MERCY – WEST MIDWEST COMMUNITY
Sisters of Mercy are women who commit their lives to serving God’s people, especially those who are sick, poor and uneducated. In the spirit of the Gospel, their mission is to help to overcome the obstacles that keep them from living full and dignified lives. A life of prayer and community animates and supports them in their mission.
Sr. Cindy Kaye, of Milwaukee, currently a student at Wright Institute of Psychology in Berkeley, California, and a freelance consultant for new membership, served as a fine arts instructor in Milwaukee Archdiocesan schools, 1985-1989, and as admissions and program director at St. Catherine’s Residence with women in transition, 1998-2002. She also served as a fine arts instructor, St. Mary School, Riverside, Illinois, 1991-1998; at Mercy Hospital, Laredo, Texas, 2002-2004; and as vocation minister, Sisters of Mercy, 2004-2011.
Sisters of St. Francis
Sisters of St. Francis in Tiffin, Ohio, are women drawn by an insatiable hunger for God, who desire to live according to the Gospel and to spend their lives extending the reign of God. Inspired by the lives of Sts. Francis and Clare of Assisi, they live in simplicity, hospitality and joy, celebrating God who is ever their refuge and strength. As an expression of Gospel living, the sisters publicly profess three vows, live in community, and dedicate their lives to evangelizing service.
Sisters of St. Joseph of the Third Order of St. Francis
Sisters of St. Joseph of the Third Order of St. Francis, a religious community of more than 200 Franciscan vowed religious women was founded in Stevens Point in 1901. The congregation, with provinces in Stevens Point, Chicago and Garfield Heights, Ohio, serves in 14 states, Puerto Rico, Brazil, Peru and South Africa.
Sr. Linda Szocik, of St. Francis, entered the Sisters of St. Joseph of the Third Order of St. Francis from St. Josaphat Parish, Milwaukee, in August 1960, and received the name Sr. Mary Eva Marie when she entered the novitiate Aug. 10, 1964. Sr. Linda, who earned her bachelor’s degree from Alverno College, Milwaukee, is a family nurse practitioner, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, South Carolina; a nurse midwife, Medical University of South Caroline, Charleston, South Carolina; and serves as the chairperson of the Refounding Coordinating Committe for the sisters. She began her nursing career at St. Mary Hospital, Milwaukee, and in 1973, went to Appalachia, serving in Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina as a nurse, social worker and family nurse practitioner. She has served her order as provincial administrator for four years, central board member for three years, and third vice president for five years; as a nurse practitioner at St. Ben’s Clinic, Milwaukee, 1999-2013.
Society of the Divine Savior (Salvatorians)
Salvatorian priests and brothers are members of the Society of the Divine Savior, a religious community founded in 1881. They partner as equals with other members of the Salvatorian family – the Congregation of the Sisters of the Divine Savior and Lay Salvatorians – and carry the Word of God all over the globe, ministering wherever there is a need. The U.S. Province is headquartered in Milwaukee; international headquarters are in Rome.
Ursuline Sisters of Mount Saint Joseph
The Ursuline Sisters of Mount Saint Joseph, in Maple Mount, Kentucky, are a vibrant group of women who minister to the needs of the communities in which they serve, including education, pastoral ministry, nursing, social justice. They serve in nine states, Washington, D.C., and in Chile, South America.
One of the 12 Ursuline Sisters of Mount Saint Joseph celebrating jubilees this year, ministered in Milwaukee.
Sr. Susan Mary Mudd was an associate professor at Mount Mary College (now University), Milwaukee, 1990-1991.